Inquire about the availability of documents in accessible formats.
In a Presidential Primary Election, if you are registered to vote with a political party, you will receive a ballot that contains Presidential candidates for your party only.
If you are not registered with a political party, also known as a "No Party Preference" voter, you will receive a nonpartisan ballot, which will not include Presidential candidates. Some political parties will allow you to crossover and vote for their candidates.
Check your registration status here.
The deadline to register to vote or update your voter registration online is February 20, 2024. After that, you can visit any Vote Center location beginning February 24, 2024 to register conditionally.
What is Crossover Voting?
If you are registered with a political party:
If you are registered as “No Party Preference”,
these political parties allow you to cast a crossover vote for the
Presidential Primary Election:
These political parties do not allow a “No
Party Preference” voter to cast a crossover vote in the Presidential Primary
You can vote for the Presidential candidates for
your party only.
If you want to vote for Presidential candidates for one of the three political parties listed above, you can request a crossover ballot by:
- returning this application
calling (916) 875-6155
Peace and Freedom Party
If you want to vote for Presidential candidates for one of the three political parties listed above, you must re-register with that political party.
The registration deadline is February 20, 2024. After that date, you can still re-register conditionally at any Vote Center location.
*American Independent Party is a political party and is not the same as No Party Preference.
1) Who can crossover?
Only "No Party Preference" voters can crossover in this election.
2) What Parties are allowing crossover voting?
The American Independent Party, Democratic Party, and Libertarian Party allow crossover voting this election.
3) What if I want to vote for a Green Party, Peace and Freedom Party, or Republican Party presidential candidate?
You must be registered with the:
- Green Party to vote for a Green Party Presidential candidates
- Peace and Freedom Party to vote for a Peace and Freedom Party Presidential candidates
- Republican Party to vote for the Republican Party Presidential candidates
4) What if I'm registered with a political party, but I want to vote for another political party's Presidential candidate?
You can only vote for a Presidential candidate in your own political party. You need to re-register with that other political party.
5) When is the deadline to change my political party for this election?
February 20, 2024 is the deadline to register to vote or change your party preference for the March 5, 2024 election. If you miss the deadline to register to vote, you can register conditionally at any Vote Center in the County of Sacramento.