Statewide Direct Primary Election Update
Voting has Officially Begun for June 5 Election
Vote by Mail ballots distributed across Sacramento County
The Sacramento County Department of Voter Registration and Elections (DVRE) announced that Vote by Mail (VBM) ballots have been distributed, which means that starting today voters across the County can begin casting their ballots for the June 5 election. With the implementation of the California Voter’s Choice Act, all registered voters in Sacramento County will start receiving their ballot in the mail beginning this week, expanding voting opportunities for residents throughout the region.
Analytics indicate that more than 65 percent of registered voters in Sacramento County prefer VBM and that percentage increases with each election. As more and more voters are choosing this method, the new voting model reflects this growing trend by making VBM an option that every registered voter can take advantage of.
Voters can return their ballots through the mail, or use any Ballot Drop Box throughout the County. Voters can also return their ballot at the Elections Office located at 7000 65th Street, Suite A, Sacramento. In an effort to make returning your VBM ballot easier, DVRE has installed a new drive-through ballot drop-off box in the Election’s Office parking lot. Voters can now drive up, drop-off their voted ballots and quickly be on their way. This drop box is available to voters 24 hours a day, 7 days a week through 8 p.m. on Election Night.
Key Election Dates
May 7 – Voted ballots can be returned by mail or in person to the Elections Office located at 7000 65th Street, Suite A, Sacramento
– Voted ballots can be placed in any of the 53 secure drop boxes
located through the County May 21
- Close of voter registration for June 5 election. Voter registration forms must be mailed (postmarked by this date) or delivered to the Elections Office, 7000 65th Street, Suite A, Sacramento. Online voter registration must be completed before midnight on this date www.registertovote.ca.gov May 22
– Conditional voter registration begins and voting period for new citizens who are sworn in after close of registration **NEW** for this electionMay 26
– Eighteen 10 Day Vote Centers open ** NEW** for this electionJune 1
- Last day a Vote by Mail (VBM) ballot can be mailed to you. After this date, VBM ballots are only available at the Elections office or at any of the 78 Vote CentersJune 2
– All 78 Vote Centers open **NEW** for this electionJune 5
– Election Day
Sacramento County is one of five counties in California to implement the Voter’s Choice Act. For additional information about the June 2018 Primary Election, the Voter’s Choice Act and to learn more about how voting is changing in Sacramento County, visit the Department of Voter Registration and Elections website